Emoji sliders?!? I first saw some ADORABLE sliders like these on Tastemade. I loved them so much that I had put these on my “to make ASAP” list. When my son’s school announced a bake sale I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to finally make them!
These may look complicated, but they are so incredibly simple. They are filled with my favorite homemade juicy beef patties topped with fluffy Hawaiian rolls. I kept the toppings classic and easy with some leafy lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, ketchup, and mayo. Now, for everyone’s question…what are the eyes made of? I used a circular pastry tip to cut some cheese and a black edible food marker to draw in the eyes. In the original Tastemade sliders, they used nori (seaweed) for they eyes. Since I have never used nori before, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to cut out all of those tiny circles and shapes. But, after I made these, I did some research and people use hole punches (like the actual paper ones!) to cut tiny shapes out. They even have punches made especially for nori! I had no idea such things existed. Next time, I’m definitely going to give nori a try since it is a better and natural alternative to using food dyes.
These were a big hit at the bake sale. I had made about two dozen and they literally sold out within the first five minutes. And, it’s not only kids that think these are cute. Like, who wouldn’t?!?
- JUICY MINI BEEF PATTIES
- 2 lbs ground beef, preferably with some fat
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (regular or panko)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 2 doz Hawaiian rolls
- sliced tomatoes
- leafy lettuce
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese
- black edible marker such as Wilton's
- To make the mini beef patties, mix all of the patty ingredients with the ground beef and massage with with clean hands to mix through. If it seems a little watery, or you would like it thicker, you can add a some extra breadcrumbs. Add about two tablespoons of the ground beef mixture to the palm of your hands and gently press to form mini round patties. They should be about 3 inches in diameter, or roughly the same diameter of your slider buns. Cook on a skillet on medium high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- To make the eyes, cut out small circles of cheese using a big round pastry tip. Any small circular shape should work. With an edible marker, draw in the eyes as you like.
- Cut each slice of cheese into 4 equal parts.
- Cut the Hawaiian rolls in half. Use a dab of mayonnaise to adhere the eyes onto the roll's top half. Spread some ketchup and mayonnaise on both halves. Starting from the bottom layer the lettuce, tomato slice, beef patty, and cheese. Serve in a tray and enjoy the cuteness overload!