It’s nearly October, but it’s still a hundred degrees outside here in California. It feels no where near Fall at the moment, so in order to get into the Fall spirit, I made some corn and cheese chowder. It doesn’t matter whether it’s hot or cold out, this cheesy, flavorful soup is hearty and will be devoured instantly!
Corn & Cheese Chowder
- 4 Tablespoons ½ Stick Butter
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cut Into Pieces
- 3 whole bell peppers, finely diced (red, Yellow, Orange)
- 5 ears corn, kernels sliced off or 4 cups frozen corn
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack
- 1 cup pepper jack
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add onions and cook until soft. Add the bacon, cook for a few minutes. Add the bell peppers, cook for a few minutes. Add the corn and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle the flour and stir until combined with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for a minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir in the heavy cream and reduce heat to low. Cover and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese. After it melts and is mixed in, add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with sliced green onions.
adapted from The Pioneer Woman