There are hundreds and thousands of versions of banana bread: Nutella, chocolate chip, cream cheese, spiced. You name it, it’s probably out there somewhere. But today, I’m sharing with you a very basic, straight up, plain banana bread. No ifs, ands, or buts. This is probably the most simple version you’ll find. In fact, sometimes the simplest ingredients make the most delicious food. This banana bread is extremely moist and since there aren’t any extra add-ons here, you actually taste the banana part of the bread.
Did I mention how moist this banana bread is? And there’s a special reason why: the secret ingredient…sour cream! Sour cream takes this basic recipe to the next level.
Soft and moist, buttery, and packed with banana flavor, this simple banana bread is sure to please any taste palette.
- ½ cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup ripe, mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a loaf pan. In the bowl of a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla extract.Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to combine. Slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. Add bananas and sour cream.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour. When done, allow the bread to rest in the loaf pan until warm. Turn out onto a cooling rack or platter.
*recipe adapted from Martha Stewart