So far fall has been all about fall baking, comfort food, and all sorts of warmth and coziness. Or at least, that’s all I’ve been hearing about. Not to say that I’m not guilty for taking part in some of it too. Even though it’s officially fall,it still feels like an endless summer here in California. The only traces of autumn here are pumpkin patches and fall produce everywhere.
I really can’t imagine wearing boots or cozy fall outfits or even drinking a PSL in this weather. So to stay cool and healthy after indulging in all those pumpkin treats, I present you with a salad. We can still have a salad and go all out for fall. Crunchy juicy apples, velvety, roasted butternut squash, crispy pumpkin seeds, and some flavorful chicken topped with feta cheese and a sweet and tangy maple-infused vinaigrette are what makes this salad happen. All the flavors, textures, and colors of fall jam-packed into one delicious salad!
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1 cup butternut squash (peeled & cut into cubes)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- feta cheese for topping
- 1 cooked/ grilled chicken breast cut into strips
- MAPLE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. To give it that charred look and taste, broil for a few minutes at the end.
- MIx all dressing ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (makes about 4-5 servings compared to the 2 servings of salad in this recipe)
- Mix salad ingredients together, top with feta cheese and desired amount of dressing. You will have dressing left over.